Parent-Infant Psychotherapy with Heather Kemp
Restore works with soon-to-be-parents and parents and their infants (aged 0-5 years) integrating an attachment based approach with developmental neuroscience.
The aim is to promote the development of the infant whilst relieving emotional disturbances within the parent(s) infant triad. Many conscious and unconscious factors can interfere with these early relationships and we seek to understand these processes further. This may include:
- A traumatic labour or delivery
- Depression or psychosis
- Relationship difficulties
- Inability to tolerate the infant’s cries
- Fertility issues
- Sibling rivalry
- Feeding/sleeping difficulties that can’t be resolved by health care professionals
- Issues from the parent’s own childhood brought about by the arrival of a baby.
Space is provided in the session for ‘play’ and the infant is given a ‘voice’ to engage in ‘conversation whilst attending to the needs of the parent(s) to bring about positive change.
Infants and parent(s) are seen together, though occasionally appointments with just the parent(s) are appropriate. Sessions last 50 minutes and are flexible in number lasting from anywhere between 6 weeks and one year.